May 21, 2009

Cancer Survivor Says He'll Hide Chemo-Ditching 13-Year-Old

Cancer Survivor Says He'd Hide Chemo-Ditching 13-Year-Old - Children's Health - FOXNews.com

Check out http://www.billybest.net/

WOW! This is a tough one. As parents I'm certain most of us would go to extreme measures to do what we believe is in the best interest of our child, we would weigh the pros and cons of our options and do whatever it takes to save our child's life without ever intending to harm them in the process. It is not the natural order of things to lose a child. At the age of 37, I was diagnosed and treated for Stage I breast cancer and faced the question of whether I should receive chemotherapy after six weeks of radiation. I likened it to taking a machine gun to kill an ant. I wanted to know what possible link could exist that caused my cancer and what would prevent a recurrence. I didn't want to make my body any sicker and believed that there were other options.

Thankfully my doctor's agreed and encouraged me to weigh the various options (yes, there is more than one option) by obtaining a second and third opinion. At the same time, I came across a book called Your Life in Your Hands by Jane Plant. The basic premise of the book is that 1 in 100,000 women in China will experience breast cancer during their lifetime and the number is 1 in 8 in the U.S. What's the difference...dairy in the diet. For over eight years I have not consumed dairy, and I'll discuss the details under a separate blog. In the meantime, the link to Billy Best's web page is interesting. He too does not consume dairy.

Hopefully this young boy's health will be restored and the medical community will acknowledge that most types of cancer can be treated and prevented by diet.

For additional information and links to those organizations that are currently studying diet and disease...take a look at the survey questions on the right hand side of the blog as well as the links.

No comments: