February 28, 2014

Eating Well for Your Wallet and Waistline - The Nutrition Source


Terrific article on the $1.50/day difference of "eating well."(Complete article here.)

When our youngest was maybe six or so we were shopping in the produce aisle and he asked if we could buy some watermelon.  It was the beginning of December in New England and we're not known for our watermelons in or out of season.  All I could think was how long had the melon been sitting on the back of a truck and how mealy the inside would be.  "Not today," I answered, as I glanced at the price per pound.  And then it hit me…am I nuts!  He's not asking for a bag of cookies.  So, we bought the watermelon, and I gave him a huge spoon to scoop it out - he was in heaven.

When my husband (who loves watermelon) came in the door, he commented, "how much did a watermelon in December cost?"

"Less than a box of cookies," and I handed him a spoon.

Your health is your wealth. - Irish proverb.

Tip of the week: My friend's mom from Italy used to stack her
plates in the fridge like this - no need for plastic, covers, etc.
Eating Well for Your Wallet and Waistline - The Nutrition Source

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forget the watermelon. Is that Sam Adams I see in the fridge?