May 5, 2014

Oatmeal with raisin cookies (dairy-free and delicious)



Byrne©

True story: My husband (who is known to scrape the bread on the inside of a container and not use a knife) asked me when he caught a glimpse of the Earth Balance container, "Is this one of your organic things?"  To which I nodded, "Yes."  He quickly quipped, "I like it.  How long have I been eating it?"  I muttered, "about five years."

(Please be sure to read entire post for complete recipe.)

Preheat oven to 375ยบ
Mix the following ingredients in large mixing bowl

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 Earth Balance* (softened on counter for  approx. 1 hour)
1 egg

Byrne©

Byrne©Byrne©                                           
Byrne©

Byrne©
USDA ORGANIC
Stir in the following - sprinkling around the batter:
Byrne©
1/2  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg



Byrne©
Stir in:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Byrne©
Byrne©

Byrne©



Stir in oats and raisins:
1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup (or more) raisins
Byrne©

Byrne©

Drop dough by a kitchen spoonful and place about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Byrne©

Bake until light brown, about 8-10 minutes.  Let sit on cookie sheet for 2 minutes if you prefer a crisper cookie.

*Ingredient insight:  Earth Balance - All Natural Spreads.  Have been using this product for over 12 years now for all our baking and cooking needs in place of butter or margarine.   True story: My husband (who is known to scrape the bread on the inside of the container) asked me when he caught a glimpse of the container, "Is this one of your organic things?"  To which I nodded, "yes."  He quickly quipped, "I like it.  How long have I been eating it?"  I muttered, "about five years."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was suggested I add a few tablespoons of black unsulphured molasses* - sounds awesome!

*Organic - of course

Anonymous said...

Love the photos but found it difficult to follow the recipe. Maybe post all the recipe on the top too?

Cookies came out great