August 13, 2010

SuperMom101's husband finally realizes he's eating "organic non hydrogentated spread" instead of butter and (gasp) he likes it!

I'm often asked, "what do you eat if you don't eat dairy?  What do you use to cook for your family?"  So, the next few posts will share a few of the items I switched to at our home.  Let me know what you think!
"How long have I been eating it?
This is sort of an old story at our house .  When I completely stopped eating dairy (I still use organic eggs for cooking) over 9  years ago, I took a look in the fridge and threw out anything and everything that contained whey, cow's milk, casein, etc. (Yes, that included cheese, ice cream and yogurt.)  Now, what to do?  I mustered up the courage, walked in to Whole Foods and began reading every label up and down (and continue to do so).  I thought I'd give Earth Balance (at that time it was called Soy Garden) a try and brought it home. 

No one seemed to notice (or care) that I had substituted this product for ALL our cooking and baking needs.  I was using it to make brownies, shrimp scampi and spread on toast.  Almost a year latter my husband (who is notorious for digging his bread in the tub and not using a knife) glanced at the label and slowly turned the tub around.

"Is this one of those organic, soy things you've been eating?"
"Yep," I nonchalantly quipped over my shoulder. And, here it comes.
"How long have I been eating it?" he asked.
"Over a year."
"Humf.  I like it."

p.s. I'm often asked if my husband reads this blog.  I doubt it, but I'll find out...

p.s.s. About reading labels and figuring out what you are really putting in to your body. Google "ingredients for G2 Gatorade" and let me know what you find out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very strange about the gatorade. Only ingredients I found was on Lance Armstrong's page.

Doubt your husband reads it. He's too busy working and raising your kids while you're too busy blogging and ignoring them.

Good luck,
Chris